Saturday 26 May 2012

Review of The Weeping Empress by Sadie S Forsythe

I have been fortunate to have been introduced to some strikingly good books recently. The Weeping Empress being the first of which I read. I have not looked at reading a book such as this since I was a lot younger and was reading a lot of graphic novels. I fear that, because of this, if I had been in a book shop I may have passed it by. A word of warning readers ………….. DO NOT PASS THIS BOOK BY!! It’s an astonishingly bitter and self-sacrificing read that has been written by Sadie S Forsythe with the most beautiful carnage you can describe.
Our heroine Chiyo is the main protagonist throughout and we stay with her on her journey of pure anger, destruction and self-discovery as she tries to fight her way through a new and harrowing life that she has been dragged kicking and screaming in to. Throughout the book you see a little more of the old her being repressed and the new warrior inside being released. She is haunted by her old life, but what really unleashes her rage when the book reaches its end is the sheer betrayal and usage on her. It begs the question that do we really know what is in our destiny and do we have a hand in it at all. On reflection, throughout the book, Chiyo's character kind of reminded me a little of Frankenstein’s monster, in the way that it became what it had been made to be.
It’s strange, but when I read a book the images that it conjures up in my mind are always live action, but when reading this I could only see it in anime. It was almost like watching Kill Bill in my head, where it switches from live action to anime and back again.
In all I would highly recommend this book, it’s a truly beautiful read.

Grab your copy with these links

No comments:

Post a Comment